Water Wiki talk:Community Portal
From Water Wiki
Redo front page
our main project at this point is improving the main page, for accessibility Barnraising some interesting sites to compare for looks and function
extensions and functionality needed
- easy footnotes.
probably requires the cite.php extension
original user rights still not fully implemented - questionable granularity to distinguish commenters and article writer/editors within mediawiki. Possible workaround: custom name spaces for projects?
- video - we will start by external links to flash-encoded video uploaded to the server; later investigate embedded video within the wiki.
Question: will this mean re-rendering each clip? handling .pdf files. We have requests to embed links to .pdf files. Do we allow them on the server, require external links to them, or convert them to an embeddable format? set up for external editors....when you upload an image, present setup seems to give you a choice to edit it, but the editor actually wants to open index.php. check http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:External_editors [Requires settings on the browser to be changed to work. Resolved by removing the option to edit uploaded files.]
need full toolbar in fckeditor. also preview doesn't work. Q: where saw bigger toolbar? we have the up to date version.
check footnote look on mac/firefox--this was probably fixed by Todd. [see general Mac compatibility issue]
custom namespace; need a pilot, let's try puba780: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Using_custom_namespaces Shoot for mid-July to start experiment, and have clear goals and tests.
- in general, we need to check FCKEditor function with Mac--Sybil reports it's not great [Sybil and Iain talked directly about this issue. Appears to be significant limitations for FCKeditor compatibility with Safari. This is an issue they are working on, and updates can be found at .]
- SelectCategoryTagCloud extension, per Todd....looking at for our standard wiki package [began testing--shows promise, but would likely need editing to be usable]
- a nice extension would be something that let people vote or tag or otherwise indicate preferences or interests in items, short of writing or editing text
- spam issues - try Checkuser
google maps extension, http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Google_Maps; Todd: needs to be > ver 1 and stable.Wiki should be geo-smart...move to a geowiki
structured table of contents we need something this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/Overviews at http://sogweb.sog.unc.edu/Water/index.php/Contents
probably need to manually index things However, as of 3.30.08, the "Contents" link is pointing to special:allpages, and that might just work for our purposes.
how to structure main page to encourage contributions. get easier "new page" link up. something more prominent talking about contributing to the water wiki. how to create a login...it's easy. create new pages, it's easy. also possible indicator of content size and user base on front.
- have mind map/meeting to address front page...check mind manager
- don't worry about exclusive categories
- portals...how to, how much can be borrowed from wikipedia
Front Page organization/structure
Can "edit" links be added to boxes?, and if so, which ones and what are the rules for when a box can be edited (i.e. A box with dynamically generated text should likely NOT be editable from within the box) I'm ok with letting front page boxes be editable only by sysop or bureacrats, although having some content there that pulls from generally open pages might also be nice. ~rbw
help pages and/or link to mediawiki help RSS feed of other pages? see http://www.springwidgets.com/widgets/view/23/false/true?param=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Watercrunchthis depends on understanding how html can/cannot be inserted into wikitext
- hit and content amount statistics. there are problems with the Urchin setup; check out Google analytics. request is in to ITS. [Account set up and configured for Water Wiki. Tracking is active as of April 9. Still working on account issues that would allow direct access to reports. Testing a model with a shared account.]
user and page count stats
- email users [Funcationality only available for emailing individual users. No extensions currently exist for emailing in bulk. We may be able to write this extension ourselves.]
get a small standard set of templates to control page layout [we're getting there...~jdg]
what bots to have? and how?
footnote/reference tag adds?